The University traces its origins to 1997 when it operated as the Thika College for Sharia and Islamic Studies. In 2001, the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology registered Thika College for Sharia and Islamic Studies to offer Diploma Study Programmes in Sharia and Islamic Studies.
In 2007, the then Commission for Higher Education validated the Diploma Programmes of Thika College and granted authority to collaborate with the International University of Africa, Khartoum, Sudan to offer two undergraduate Degree Study Programmes namely; Bachelor of Arts in Islamic Sharia and Bachelor of Arts in Islamic Studies.
On 23rd July 2013, the Kenyan National Regulatory body, the Commission for Higher Education granted the Thika College for Sharia and Islamic Studies a Letter of Interim Authority to operate as Umma University. In August 2014, the University Council relocated the University from Thika to Kajiado upon recommendation from the Commission.
Subsequently, the University was awarded a Charter by H.E President Uhuru Kenyatta on 18th October 2019.
Courses offered at Umma University
1. Bachelor of Arts in Sharia
2. Bachelar of Arts in Islamic Studies
3. Bachelor of Science Nursing
4. Bsc Nursing (Upgrading)
5. Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
6. Bachelor of Business Management
7. Bachelor of Business Information Technology (BBIT)
8. Bachelor Science in Information Technology (BIT)
9. Bachelor of Commerce (B.com)
10. Bachelor of Education (Arts)
Visit Umma University for more details on their courses, fee structure, admission, and learning experience at the institution.